How to shut down server

liu chang liuchangjohn at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 00:07:05 PDT 2000

Hello, everyone. I am a newbie in the Linux world, but I am interested in
knowing more. I set up Apache server on my laptop that came with RH6.2,
later i found out that the PHP module that comes with apache does not
support MySQL database. So I grabbed php 4 tarball and mysql from the net.
The manual says I must shut down apache server in order to rebuild php
module with mysql support. Could anyone please tell me how to shut down the
server? Thank you.

One of my friend is experiencing some other problem. He has a ne2000
compatible network card without driver. When he inserted the card, there is
a high tone beep followed by a low tone beep and system reports "unable to
determine hardware net address." Later he tried to hardwrite the address
with "hwaddr=0x...", and there came two high tone beeps. We thought the set
up was successful, but when we use "ifup eth0" command to check, the status
was always "Determining IP address..." and "ping ..." command does not
return anything (he was conneted to the net). Is there something wrong with
the network configuration or something wrong with the hardware
configuration? Pls explain in as much details as possible, thanks a lot.