Diagram of my system

Chris Bopp cpb at spal455a.lll.hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 13 05:40:30 PDT 2000

Hey hey Kevin more stuff to read
at least it's not more of the "it works great for me, it should work
for you too" that you've been getting dosed with. ;)

First, for capturing output from a lone box with floppy drive:
(This should work with the "ash" shell too, untested...)
This is for most any Linux, I guess. If Freesco is based on SCO, head
for the hills!

$ rm outfile
$ for cmd in "uname -a" df dmesg /sbin/ifconfig "/sbin/route -vn"
> do echo -e "\n::: output of $cmd ::\n" >> outfile
> $cmd >> outfile
> done
$ ls -l outfile

-rw-rw-r--    1 cpb      cpb          4561 Oct 13 01:44 outfile

$ # We got msdos filesystem in this kernel?

$ fgrep msdos /proc/filesystems
	msdos
$ # Great, we got devices?
$ ls /dev/fd0*1440
/dev/fd0u1440
$ # Double great, just pop in a floppy and mount
$ mkdir dosfloppy
$ # being root really helps with next step...
$ mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1440 dosfloppy
$ cp outfile dosfloppy
$ sync; umount dosfloppy         # umount is supposed to sync anyways...
$ # pop out floppy, take it to another machine, read outfile

--------- If you don't have msdos filesystem in there, well, try using
"minix"; I'm almost certain it's the same as ms-dos when you're talking
about floppy drives and ROUGHLY speaking minix fs support is required for
kernels that wish to boot up into RAM disks, so...if minix isn't there,
well, there better be a DAMN good reason like Coyote Linux floppies keep
your breath fresh. If there's no minix say so, you can use dd and dos debug.
(assuming Coyote has dd;) Coyote, LRP, Freesco, whatever you're into now
I mean.
---------- About the transcript you typed in, what bugged me was there
was no outgoing packet counts. Now wait wait I know that's the whole point
but *zero* ? can you make either/both of those counts go up with ping?
even unanswered pings should ratchet up, unless you have funny cables,
which, considering the provider you're dealing with, is almost certain
(ba-dum psshhht!) You remember what I first wrote about try the cable
from work MDI-X blah blah blah something? My steel-trap inexorable logical
problem-bashing has been overthrown so many times by the faulty assumption
of correct cabling that now I blame them first unless they prove themselves
working in another comparable situation. And from that diagram you made
(I'm the dude, thanks), there are probably both straight and crossed patch
cables involved (1 or 2, depending on if your hub has an uplink port or
crossover button thingy).

Chris Bopp