Question

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:44:59 PDT 2000

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Chris Bopp wrote:

>    Chris Wong's question (I am Chris Bopp) regarding kernel 2.0/2.2 questions
>    may have been prompted by the different sets of parameters that are now
>    "required" by the internal interface that the ifconfig (and route) programs
>    use--the 2.2 kernel is unwilling to fill-in the "natural" netmask and
>    broadcast values that casual 2.0 ifconfig commands use, and so lots of
>    networking scripts barf up SIOCADDR-type errors when their only fault is
>    they tried to set a route without setting the netmask. If you can find out
>    what scripts, if any, the dhcpcd subsystem is using to effect interface
>    and route change commands, you could try running them yourself to ferret
>    out the offending commands.

I didn't know that. Makes sense now that I think about it. IIRC, the
dhcpcd client sets the values internally (via an ioctl I'd imagine). The
last time I dealt with this... it was when Redhat 6.0 came out and their
pump binary not being worth diddly on a Windows DHCP server.

Does the dhcpcd binary work now? The ISC one? What is shipped with most
distributions nowadays?

(me, I don't care for DHCP too much. I'd like my addresses staying where I
left them... wandering addresses are too much fun.)