Question

Chris Bopp cpb at spal455a.lll.hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:29:27 PDT 2000

To Kevin the floppyfw pioneer:

I can think of lots of things to speculate about, but I will say only
this much without, say, ASCII-art diagrams of your topology:

You said you got a 192.168.1.64 assignment when you used floppyfw at work?
Then I would proceed in this order (step back and re-evaluate if anything
clicks):

1) Bring that ethernet cable home and try it in each of eth0 and eth1
   sequentially, leaving the other interface empty. This is in regards to
   MDI and MDI-X cable-crossing bullshit. Or see if you can break your
   work setup by taking your home cable there.

2) Bring your home router to work and try it there. Maybe there is no
   DHCPD server joy-bundles inside your home RR to hear?

3) Remove one of the cards from your router and test. DHCP is notoriously
   bad at multi-interface configuration, and remember you can sometimes
   successfully ping local interfaces even if they have a disconnected
   cable- the packets realy go "through" the lo interface. After (or during!)
   ping test, watch the packet TX/RX counts in the ifconfig display to get
   a better sense of the topology the computer "thinks" it has.

---------------

   Chris Wong's question (I am Chris Bopp) regarding kernel 2.0/2.2 questions
   may have been prompted by the different sets of parameters that are now
   "required" by the internal interface that the ifconfig (and route) programs
   use--the 2.2 kernel is unwilling to fill-in the "natural" netmask and
   broadcast values that casual 2.0 ifconfig commands use, and so lots of
   networking scripts barf up SIOCADDR-type errors when their only fault is
   they tried to set a route without setting the netmask. If you can find out
   what scripts, if any, the dhcpcd subsystem is using to effect interface
   and route change commands, you could try running them yourself to ferret
   out the offending commands. The pcmcia card services junk invokes scripts
   like this; if the dhcpc is a monolithic binary, maybe it has some additional

   -verbose or -log options...If you have the wherewithal to run your own
   DHCP server at home, you could test one-legged like that to see if you
   can lease yourself an IP over your own wire, leaving RR out of the picture.

   Well, sorry if you've already tried all this, but if not, it should keep
   you busy! Then draw a diagram +----------+