Hostname changes and the shell prompt...

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 5 22:09:31 PDT 2000

Dean and Mike,

	OK, I tried the suggestion to replace \h with $(hostname).  This change
is essentially the same as the long hostname option \H for the bash shell. That
change works as advertised.  I guess what I needed to say initially is that it
appears that the hostname variable is not getting updated when I get
renumbered.  That's what I need to fix, and I can't figure it out.

Mike,

	Maybe I confused you when I said the hostname gets nuked.  Perhaps it
is best to explain by an example.  Suppose I have set the hostname to
"FourFans" when I boot the box, then dhcp gets me an IP address.   Now the
hostname changes to <some IP address at hawaii.rr.com>.  Suddenly, the original
hostname has been "nuked."

Thanks again in advance ,

Ben