Xmms

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 14 12:52:18 PDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, Julio Gutierrez wrote:

> I recently installed RH7 and everything works fine except Xmms, when i try to
> play mp3s, it  continually skips and doesn't paly them right , I was wondering

I can't really speak much for RH7. The only isntall I have of it is on a
P120 Laptop. However, in my experience RH uses esd (Enlightment Sound
Daemon) for multiplex sound. FOr some reason, it skips when doing that.

Try uses mpg123 just as a baseline. If it continues doing
that.. then.. well. .we'll see.

(How fast of a CPU do y ou have? I noticed this on a K62-300 and an Athlon
650. I don't know what RedHat was thinking)

The athlon 650 could have been the fact that I used the Via sound
codec. But the K62-300 was straight Sound Blaster. Plus, when I recompiled
mpg123 to use /dev/dsp as opposed to esd the skipping stopped.