off-topic: windows 98 question (sorry!)

Jim Roby jroby at aloha.net
Thu Dec 28 12:04:53 PST 2000

Have.you.configured.the.virus.program.not.to.scan.the.local.machine
every.time.an.exe.runs?I.configure.to.scan.a.dload.directory.and.the
floppy.on.use.only...Does.the.local.machine.have.an.NIC...I.had.a
card.recently.that.provided.service.but.was.slowing.everything.down,
drove.me.crazy.till.I.swapped.out.the.card.and.speed.returned
(pardon.my.broken.space.bar)...along.that.same.line.you.should.look
to.see.if.windoz.is.having.any.trouble.with.installed.hardware...
control,system,device.contention...exclaimation.marks.or.question.
marks

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Robert Green wrote:

> I know its off-topic, but this list is the best
> collection of copm know-hoiw, and I know some of you
> are like me, and afflicted with windoze in spite of
> your best wishes--
>
> I have a machine at work that is suddenly dragging in
> slugsville all the time. I tried un-installing the
> programs installed recently to see if I could clear up
> the problem, and it still is dragging. (We had
> installed one application, a virus scan update, and a
> new printer. The printer was un-installed later that
> day when I realized I needed a USB cable to run both
> printers at once as we wanted to do).
>
> Disabling the resident control panels on the task bar
> does not seem to clear up the symptoms, either.
>
> Virus scan with most up to date data files is also
> negative.
>
> The slowdown seems to occur withoyt any specific
> programs having been run, and it seems to get worse
> over time. A reboot seems to help, but the machine
> slows down again after a few minutes to a few hours.
>
> Can anybody suggest:
>
> 1) A log file that would indicate the most recently
> installed and/or uninstalled programs
>
> 2) any suggestions or a a pointer to them as to how I
> can check to see what background programs might be
> causing this?
>
> 3) Anything else or anyplace else I should try and
> check out?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rob

     "We confess our little faults only to persuade others that
                      we have no great ones" -- La Rochefoucauld