off-topic: windows 98 question (sorry!)

Edward Haddock debaito at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 11:59:49 PST 2000

Robert,
   ALl of the suggestions so far have been very good.
I waould also say make sure you have a good virus
detection system. Also do a check on the Autoexec.bat
and config.sys to see if there are any memory hogs in
there. Barring umitigated terror, you make want to
consider backing up then doing a reload. Windows is
horrible after a while. I recently got hit with a Boot
Sector virus that slowed me down tremendously. After I
got rid of it I had to reformat and start over again.
ANother possibilty is "are you always on to the net"
check for hackers doing backdoors and crap. Well I
hope that this helped.
                                  Edward
--- Robert Green <aloha_moon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know its off-topic, but this list is the best
> collection of copm know-hoiw, and I know some of you
> are like me, and afflicted with windoze in spite of
> your best wishes--
>
> I have a machine at work that is suddenly dragging
> in
> slugsville all the time. I tried un-installing the
> programs installed recently to see if I could clear
> up
> the problem, and it still is dragging. (We had
> installed one application, a virus scan update, and
> new printer. The printer was un-installed later that
> day when I realized I needed a USB cable to run both
> printers at once as we wanted to do).
>
> Disabling the resident control panels on the task
> bar
> does not seem to clear up the symptoms, either.
>
> Virus scan with most up to date data files is also
> negative.
>
> The slowdown seems to occur withoyt any specific
> programs having been run, and it seems to get worse
> over time. A reboot seems to help, but the machine
> slows down again after a few minutes to a few hours.
>
> Can anybody suggest:
>
> 1) A log file that would indicate the most recently
> installed and/or uninstalled programs
>
> 2) any suggestions or a a pointer to them as to how
> can check to see what background programs might be
> causing this?
>
> 3) Anything else or anyplace else I should try and
> check out?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rob

$subst('Email.Unsub')

=====
The ever unique, self-contained, all inclusive Edward R. Haddock. AKA Mr. Hawaii. Remember, I like what I say and I like myself when i'm saying it. :)