[LUAU] Linux on laptops?

Rob Braun bbraun at gw.synack.net
Mon May 31 15:46:06 PDT 1999

They are all about the same.  Slackware's pcmcia package is a
bit out of date, but so is everyone else's pretty much.

There are no real issues with linux on laptops.  Just turn
on the APM bios support when building your kernel, and the
power management stuff is built in.  There is a linux on
laptops page out there.  I never remember its url, but go
to linux.org and search for laptop.  You should get the linux
on laptops page.

One note, RedHat and at least the older versions of Caldera
royally screw up the pcmcia start scripts, so beware if you
build and install the pcmcia package yourself after the
install is over.  I highly recommend doing this.  Then again,
I highly recommend building and installing most software
packages yourself.  =)  Except emacs.  You don't want to
see what emacs does when compiling its self.

Despite my problems with Debian's leadership, it's fairly
normal with respect to pcmcia (although screwed up in other
respects.  BTW, what's up with /etc/alternatives?), and
Slackware is fairly descent too.

Rob

FYI, I think the general policy here is no HTML on the list.

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net