[LUAU] meeting

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Wed May 19 13:30:27 PDT 1999

Griffith Feeney wrote:

> A few more items from last night's meeting.
>
> George Toft did a presentation on SuSE and StarOffice, has some install
> info at http://oahu.gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/. Recommends against 6.0.
> Got 6.1 from a company whose URL I didn't write down and don't recall

www.chumbo.com - last I heard they were back-ordered.  Others in
the group picked up SuSE 6.1 at CompUSA for $29.99.

> (available from http://www.cheapbytes.com/ at a somewhat higher price).
> Says English documentation is okay, though German documentation is better.

Someone asked me last night what I did not like about SuSE.
Here it is:
1) The dhcp client that comes with it sucks.  It works fine
for short term connections, but will not work with Oceanic
cable.  (That's why I still have Red Hat on my Oceanic box.)

2)  (dhcp round 2) If you specify using dhcp on an interface,
it will use dhcp on all networking interfaces, which makes
it unacceptable for router/gateway purposes.  One of the
SuSE techs told me this is fixed in version 6.1, but I have
not verified this.

3)  The operation of the setup tool (YaST) changed from version
5.3 to 6.0, but it is not documented in the manual.  I found
out last night how it is supposed to work, and it sure is
easier!  Much mahalo!

--
George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

 Consider Linux - Fast, stable, scalable, priced
  right and available with commercial support.
--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net