[LUAU] meeting

Griffith Feeney gfeeney at hawaii.edu
Wed May 19 11:40:08 PDT 1999

A few more items from last night's meeting.

George Toft did a presentation on SuSE and StarOffice, has some install
info at http://oahu.gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/. Recommends against 6.0.
Got 6.1 from a company whose URL I didn't write down and don't recall
(available from http://www.cheapbytes.com/ at a somewhat higher price).
Says English documentation is okay, though German documentation is better.

StarOffice 5.0 Personal Edition is available for multiple platforums, free
for personal use, though you have to register. Check it out at
http://www.stardivision.com/ (download area was closed last night and still
this morning, though they say it's supposed to be up today).

Re ESR, some things he's written (lots more at
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/):

Building the Perfect Box: How to Design Your Linux Workstation
"My article on building good Linux hardware cheap, written for Linux
Journal #36."
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/lj-howtobuild.html

The Cathedral and the Bazaar
"My analysis of how and why the Linux development model works, as given at
Linux Kongress 97, the Atlanta Linux Showcase, the first Perl Conference,
LinuxPro 97."
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar.html

Homesteading the Noosphere
"A followup to The Cathedral and the Bazaar in which I analyze the property
and ownership customs of the open-source culture."
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading.html

There was an announcement about a possible upcoming good deal on laptops
that will do linux.

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net