[LUAU] Having trouble loggin on the 'Net with RH6

Doug Stanfield DOUGS at oceanic.com
Sun May 2 19:17:55 PDT 1999

Thats not true.  When the DHCP client gets the correct DNS address from the
server response it will work correctly.  If you are trying to have another
DNS server resolve names before you log in you'll never get a response.  The
default filters allow DNS access only to the Road Runner DNS servers.  The
following are the filters turned on by default before a login occurs:

Destination

/Mask

Prot

Low

High

-----------

---------------

----

-----

-----

-----

DNS-1

204.210. 96. 1

/32

udp

53

53

DNS-2

204.210. 96. 2

/32

udp

53

53

Proto-1

204.210. 96. 3

/32

tcp

60000

60000

Proto-2

204.210. 96. 2

/32

tcp

60000

60000

Logon-1

204.210. 96. 3

/32

tcp

60000

60000

Logon-2

204.210. 96. 2

/32

tcp

60000

60000

SWDnLoad-1

204.210. 96. 3

/32

tcp

20

21

SWDnLoad-2

204.210. 96. 2

/32

tcp

20

21

DHCP-1

0. 0. 0. 0

/0

udp

67

67

DHCP-2

0. 0. 0. 0

/0

udp

67

67

Ping-Req

0. 0. 0. 0

/0

icmp

8

8

Ping-Rsp

0. 0. 0. 0

/0

icmp

0

0

This means you can use DHCP to get your IP, ping anyplace once you have an
address, download the client software from our server, use only the Road
Runner DNS servers to resolve names, and use the login protocol to login
which will open up the filters for everything you normally do.

I'd suggest doing an 'nslookup' command after the dhcp client gets you an
address.  If the response doesn't look something like:

[dougs at mycomputer dougs]$ nslookup
Default Server:  backend1.hawaii.rr.com
Address:  204.210.96.1

then you need to check whether the dhcp client you have is setting your name
server.  If not you'll need to put it into your 'resolv.conf' file.  Either
204.210.96.1 or .2 will work.

-Doug-