[LUAU] LUAU Sub Group mailing lists

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 26 21:32:00 PST 1999

I'm calling this topic dead already. It's taking up too much of our time
and I don't think it's going anywhere at this point. Hopefully this is the
last of it. Unless something major comes up, I'm not going to comment on
any further postings.

Jimen, you made some good points. And yes, the webpage is our/my highest
priority. And before you flame me that the setup was useless, I was in the
planning of setting up CVS. (which is why I was waiting for the files so I
could do it as opposed to making Jack Morgan possibly violate his
security) Beyond worrying about updating the webpage, I have a fair mind
towards security so I don't just jump ahead and do this... Even the write
access will be limited to a few people,

About the small groups... the problem was trying to apply organization to
a group who eschews organization. I read up on the TWIN mailing list
archives. I understand you have - and use - your central control of the
project. I personally feel people work best independantly with as much
freedom as possible (and some prodding of course but still). In this we
decidedly conflict. I'm not saying you're a dictator, but you use your
control effectively. But we're not a software project. We all have
extremely differing intrests and it is my opinion that such organization
will hinder creativity.

You're right though, there always will be dissenters... so they'll always
be dissenters. One of the things that I like about Linux is that you have
CHOICE. Sometimes not good ones, but that's how things improve. If you
don't like the way things run here, start your own group. I'm not being
facetious or arrogant, but if you have an itch to scratch... scratch.
Heck, competition is a good thing and I'd welcome it (we can share ESR if
that's a sticking point.) Anybody want to start a new group? Splinter
group?

Since it has come to that point, I'll just spill out my vision for LUAU
already. I want it to be a controlled anarchy... yet from that cacophony
of ideas, I feel order on a large scale will result. It's a stretch, but I
feel it can be done.

I see a community based group, but with little formal organization. Just a
free flow of ideas and concepts and help. The one thing we can all agree
on, is that we do provide GOOD help. I want to tap that power, the
anarchy, the power in chaos and lack of strong central control. Radical
yes. Using off the top of my head figures, we could probably scale to
around 500 or so. So we're not going to be large, but we'll take it as it
comes.

In fact Jimen, I welcome you splintering off. For some, that kind of
organization won't work. There are a lot of things that we can't either
organziationally or monetarily provide (I don't see the group ever coming
into lots of money).

You made several good points that I will definately take to heart.

However right now, your vision, and my vision conflict... compromise is
possible but will weaken both our causes.

You implied I was a dictator. Yeah... personally I'd like to think of it
as "coordinator" and at final resort, one who wields executive powers. In
the end, I have to call the final shot. Until we can figure out a
community driven system, it'll remain that way. Yes, one of things I want
is a voting/polling/discussion board.... but technical/time issues have
kept that down. (basically, i don't have the time to learn the tech...
which is why there's a webpage group) And even then, someone still has to
make the instant decisions.

The reason this is a public email, is that I try not to keep developments
and even internal politics away from everybody. Yes, the small groups do
that, but it this thread started off public, and anything else I would
consider censorship.

I'm sorry to all of those who belong here just for the technical side.
We're becoming a community, and hence, these issues come up.

--
chris
Forever an idealist...

--