[LUAU] DaemonLinux

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 19 00:04:00 PST 1999

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Jimen Ching wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:
> >	GNU/Linux is a misnomer.  It is Linux.  We will not refer to things
> >ast BSD/Linux, but rather, just Linux.
>
> As one of the readers of the thread in gnu.misc.discuss pointed out,
> creating this distribution just confirms that existing distributions
> should refer to such systems as GNU/Linux.  I.e. you'll be proving that it
> will no longer be a misnomer.

And then it comes down to... does it really matter? Now, personally, I
like the GNU tools. I've used only briefly the BSD flavor of them anyhow.
I don't think it's hammering a difference, but rather just making note of
it.

It's an interesting project... not because of political reasons or
philosphical ones, except that it hasn't been tried before. (And I like
the BSD Daemon... a much better mascot if you ask me). I think I would be
interested in helping out as long as I know what to do. It's not kernel
work, but more application work. Which is fine with me. Basically, I side
along the lines of... hey it's cool and it's different and it'll be, at
least for a little while, fun.

Which is all that really matters in my opinion. Having fun.

from a technical standpoint, and I hzaevn't looked at the web pages or
anything yet. I got a paper to do. The only difficult thing would be
making glibc work with the BSD ports. Otherwise it should all be the same?
Hmmmmm... so what does #ifdef BSD mean then eh?

--
chris
fun, fun, fun 'till her daddy took the T-bird away

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net