[LUAU] Formating new Dirve

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 17 18:01:31 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Derek J Podoll wrote:

> Ok I have two small question how do I format a new drive that I Added in
> to my RedHat box and also How do I make the computer autodect the new
> drive on boot

Errrr.. autodetect? It should already. Does your dmesg or your boot output
contain a line such as:
hda: QUANTUM BIGFOOT1280A, 1226MB w/87kB Cache, CHS=623/64/63
hdb: Conner Peripherals 340MB - CP30344, 327MB w/64kB Cache, CHS=665/16/63

Then it detected it.

BE CAREFUL!!!! I won't be responsible if you end up nuking your active
parition.

Now to format it... .. first you need to parition it.
As root, run fdisk /dev/??? where ??? is the new disk.

Or you might want to do cfdisk. your choice. I like fdisk but it's kind of
hard.

then you mke2fs the related partition... that I haven't done quite yet.
Looking at the man page... looks as simple as mke2fs /dev/???[1-9] or so.
Don't know what type of disk you got there.

Then you have to modify your /etc/fsstab. That, is a problem for another
question....

--
chris
slipping disks