[LUAU] modem

Mark Rassi biotech at vcnet.com
Sun Mar 14 20:16:10 PST 1999

Dave -

If the modem is available and dialing under Seyon, then
I think that it is responding to the Hayes command set.
If you issue the command AT&F and get OK in response, I
would next try connecting  to your ISP. You can do this
under Slackware by using a chat script. I will give you
the one that I use below.  The executable chat is
located in /usr/sbin (Slackware 3.6).  Create the chat
script with a text editor and then run it (as root)
with the command

/usr/sbin/pppd connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f
/path_to_chat_script/chat_script_name'

Of course you need to change the path and script name
to match the location and chat script name.

example chat script

ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
'' 'AT&F'
OK ATDT5555555
CONNECT ''

replace the 5555555 with your ISP's local access number
and check your modem documentation for the correct
string to send to the modem and replace the 'AT&F' with
it if necessary.  You can put PPP options in the chat
script but it is easier to put them the file
/etc/ppp/options

example options file

lock
defaultroute
crtscts
noipdefault
modem
asyncmap 0
115200
/dev/modem
name "your_ISP_user_name"

I'm suspect that your ISP uses a pap-secrects file for
authentication if they use the PPP (Point to Point
Protocol).  You could call your ISP customer service
number if you are not sure but the other PPP
authentication protocol; CHAP is less frequently used
even though it is more secure that PAP. The pap-secrets
file has only one line.

example /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

you_ISP_user_name    *    your_ISP_password

Hope this helps. You may find some errors these
instructions as I now use ISDN and haven't been over
this ground in quite some time. You should consult the
PPP Howto and the Serial Howto also. Sam's publishing
has a good book "Linux Unleashed" and IDG has another
"Linux Secrets". O'Reilly's "Running Linux" is good but
is most useful for Red Hat release (does anyone else on
this list run Alpha?).

--
Something clever goes here ... LINUX

Mark Rassi