[LUAU] modem

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 13:56:55 PST 1999

Maybe? .....

USR 56Kb Internal Voice/Fax Speakerphone Modem

This was a new modem that I purchased, with the intent of using it to
connect at 56Kb with my Dialup Internet Provider using 3Com's X2
protocol.  I decided to use the
modem's built-in Plug-and-Play (PnP) features by utilizing the isapnp
tools available with RedHat 5.2.  After installing the modem in an
available ISA slot, I typed the
command:

    pnpdump  >  /etc/isapnp.conf

Which created a file containing information on all the PnP cards
inserted in the various ISA slots.  Open the /etc/isapnp.conf file into
an editor (vi) and scroll down to the
section of the file which has the following lines:

    # Card 1: (serial identifier b5 c7 e6 c9 a9 70 30 72 56)
    # Vendor Id USR3070, Serial Number 3353790889, checksum 0xB5.
    # Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
    # ANSI string -->U.S. Robotics 56K Voice INT<--

The modem is the only PnP card in my ISA slots, so it shows up as Card
1.  Under this section, uncomment the following lines:

    (IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
    (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE + E)))
    (ACT Y)

This will specify that you want the modem card to have a base address of
0x03e8 (COM 3) and an IRQ of 5.  Next, use the following command to send
these options to the
PnP Modem card:

    isapnp  /etc/isapnp.conf

To configure the serial port for the modem, use the following commands:

    setserial  /dev/cua2  autoconfig
    setserial  /dev/cua2  irq  5

Your modem should now be setup as COM3, IRQ = 5.  To test the
configuration, type the command:

    setserial  -a  /dev/cua2

You should get output which looks similar to this:

    /dev/cua2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 5
            Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
            closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinte
            Flags: spd_normal skip_test

Use the following command to establish a symbolic link between /dev/cua2
and /dev/modem:

    ln -s  /dev/cua2  /dev/modem

You are now ready to test the modem setup using the "minicom" program.
Issue the following command:

    minicom

The program should come up, and the application screen should display an
"Ok".  Try typing "AT" into the display window and press return.  If the
modem is working, you
should see another "Ok". If you got this far, great!  It worked!  You
can now exit the minicom program by typing Ctrl-A and then Q, or Alt-Q.

To make these settings automatically start on boot up, add the following
lines to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

    isapnp  /etc/isapnp.conf
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net