[LUAU] rrsmpcd.lrp and dhcpcd.lrp

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sun Mar 14 04:26:48 PST 1999

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Jimen Ching wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, George Toft wrote:
> > I'm not - I've been touting a 486 on RR for over a year as a router.
> > The 486 has problems when 20 students hit the server simultaneously,
> > but it still serves pages.
>
> I'm using a 486 33Mhz.  How do you guarantee the DHCP client deamon
> doesn't change the IP address between student accesses?

Like most things in life, you can't.

It's not a function of a 486 or a Pentium or a DEC Alpha. When the DHCP
server wants to change the address, then the address gets changed. (what
happens with the rrsmpcd client is beyond the scope of this dicussion... I
really don't know what it does. My experience is that it gets VERY
confused and terminates)

Luckily, this is happened maybe 4-5 times in the 9 months I've owned this
cable modem. Each time was deadly, but nevertheless easy to recover.

Because of this, I don't recommend RR for sites that need the uptime. For
schools and stuff, uptime isn't THAT critical. Since there is that 0.01%
chance of IP address changing, it just MIGHT change on you, and since the
rrsmpcd client doesn't handle IP changes well (in my experience of course)
you lose connectivity rather quickly.

(Glen, I guess I"m going to go and see if I can make the client more...
amicable to IP changes. I'm not even too sure if I can... but then inetd
handles it.)

(problem with doing that is that Oceanic changes IP so infrequently, that
it'll be hard to debug. Run.. wait 3 months. Oh... there it is.)

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net