[LUAU] FW: Want a visit 27 May or thenabouts?

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 10 23:39:37 PST 1999

John... get a good mail client. This one is killing me. I have no idea
WHAT it thinks a line is???? *sigh* Makes your messages quite difficult
for me to read... dunno 'bout anybody else. Which reminds me to take a
look at Mutt as a mail reader.

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, John W Christian wrote:

> >> And we need to figure out the best time [for him & us] to schedule.

THis still stands. His Japan trip is still in the air so we really don't
have a clear time when he'll be a) flying in. b) leaving.
If it's just a day layover, then by all means.. the 27th. But if he's
flying in at 7 or 8 or later, then it'll have to be the 28th. Plus I still
have to take him around the island or something.

> >Either day is fine I'd imagine. In some sense the 28th would be better
> >because it's a Friday... and people leave work early on Friday. But
> >then again, Thursdays are closer to our original schedules.
> I [personally] can do it on the 27th. The 28th I have class from 4 to
> 9:30.

See above.

> >Do you need this much time in advance? I would pad it up on either
> >side.
> I need the room for free advertising in as many periodicals [which are
> normally printed monthly or bi-weekly.

nod. We dont' have a date/time/place yet. Once that gets in, by all
means..... His Japan trip is, as I said, not finished yet.

> >That's the point. But this is in May. It's March. We've a few weeks
> >anyhow to get this going. Which also makes the webpages the #1 priority.

Which still holds true. On the meeting next week, I'm going to ask for
people to sign up. Please sign up, this is the only thing that is standing
in between us and obscurity.

Either that, or I'm going to do it and you all have to suffer through my
taste. <BLINK>SUFFFFER!~</BLINK>

> >And when you know somebody by their initals, they're big. :)
> NOD
>
> I personally did not know till I check his web pages

Real quick: If I have time tomorrow I'll see if I can compile or copy a
Biography of ESR to the list. But I"ll just leave it like this. There are
4 names that come to mind when mentioning Open Source Software.
Richard M Stallman
Linus Torvalds
Bruce Perens
Eric S Raymond

(Dunno if you know Bruce... him and ESR are having a falling out... not
too sure on the details, I will have to check later.)

He is an advocate of Open Source Software... but concentrating more on
advocacy in a business sense and as a business model.

With that, I'll leave.

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net