[LUAU] Fw: Speaking of sendmail

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Jun 29 09:28:09 PDT 1999

As far as I can tell, the NFS server bombed for several minutes making
luau.hi.net a bit... weird.

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Mike Ballon wrote:

> Let's say you have a domain called whatever.com and the name of your
> box is linux.whatever.com.  So if you were to send an e-mail out it
> looks like a came from user at linux.whatever.com, how do make the reply
> address just use the domain name and not the complete host?  I want
> the reply to be user at whatever.com. know what I mean?

It's both a MUA and a MTA thing.

In /etc/sendmail.cf
Make sure the DM field has the correct field. I THINK. Damnit Jim, I use
Qmail not Sendmail. (With apologies towards the late DeForest McKelly).

On the MUA side (Mail User Agent) make the reply to user at whatever.com.

The box should handle. Of course you need correct MX records but we'll
leave that as an exercise to the reader.

But beware... doing this may cause blindness, loss of sleep, and lack of
appetite. I THINK it works, but I've been wrong before.

--
chris

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net