[LUAU] NOMINATIONS

Ronald L Fox rfox at dls.queens.org
Tue Jun 22 19:54:41 PDT 1999

At 03:29 PM 06/22/1999 -1000, Michael Sawyer wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 gsublett at lava.net wrote:
>
>> <  e) If you are nominated by someone else and do not accept as
>>       in 3d) by 22 June 1999, Tuesday at 21:00 HST, your nomination
>>       will be considered as declined.
>
>Correct me if I am wrong, but under that statement, I think that means
>that all of the nominations are likely to be declined, since I haven't
>seen a single statement of acceptance in the list (unless I missed one),
>and we are only a few hours away from the deadline.  I also noticed a
>pretty large flood of messages this Monday morning, which I am guessing
>meant that there was a block of some or all of the messages on Sunday,
>possibly giving people pretty short notice of the most recent events.

I don't know if there was a block of any messages.  I agree with your
interpretation of the deadline and consequences unless we have a flood
of ACCEPT messages in the next few hours.

>I'd like to move that we extend the nomination period by at least 24
>hours to allow for everyone to respond, and extend the acceptance period
>by another 24 hours after that.  Yes, this is a delay beyond what was
>discussed at the meeting, but I think we're rushing the process just a
>bit TOO much now.

I agree and second that motion.
All in favor of the motion to extend nomination and acceptance periods
by at least 24hrs each say "Aye":

Aye - Mike Sawyer
Aye - Ron Fox

All opposed say "Nay":

If no opposition, the motion will be passed and the periods extended
by at least 24hrs.

>Thus, under this motion, nominations would be accepted until sometime on
>the evening of the 23rd, and acceptances until the 24th.  That leaves at
>least 2 full weeks for people to get votes in before the next meeting.
>
>That being said, is the next meeting on the 8th or the 20th, or is the
>8th just a voting meeting?  (I'm interested since I'll be away on
>vacation from the 1st to the 15th.)

I thought we were going to conduct the voting via e-mail with ballot
submission due by July 1.  I think there was a sense of urgency at the
Jun 15th meeting but I'm certainly in favor of holding off on the elections
until the next regular meeting (July 20th).  The July 8th meeting was
proposed by Zach Taylor but hasn't been expanded on lately.  Do we want
to hold a special meeting on July 8th to continue discussion of LUAU
future direction, officer roles, proposed bylaws, etc?  I wouldn't be
in favor of holding elections at the special meeting unless we have the
absentee ballot via email and the vote by proxy set up.  Guess there's
time to do that if there's sufficient interest in a July 8th special
meeting.  As far as I know, the July 8th meeting is not happening, at
least no time and place have been offered.

Ron
--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net