[LUAU] Another Bylaw to Chew On

Ronald Fox rfox at dls.queens.org
Thu Jun 17 01:19:31 PDT 1999

I agree with George about the need for a source of funds.  This implies
that we need a Treasurer and accounting.  I also agree with Zach in his
desire to keep LUAU "dues-free" if at all possible.  While the dues
might be a nonimal sum, I don't think the funds raised would be worth
the loss in "the feeling of freedom" [Quotes are my emphasis, not Zach's].
I think John is on the right track with suggestions of alternate funding
including Corporate Sponsership.  This will require active effort on
someone's part to seek such sponsership but I think that it can be an
important part of our revenue stream if sponsers are chosen carefully.
A couple of other ideas that would be essentially self-maintaining
(once set up):

o  Join the Amazon.com Associates program with a LUAU bookstore page
   on the Web site.  Any books purchased by anyone who clicks on a
   link on the Bookstore page will result in a percentage going to
   LUAU directly (I recall that Amazon sends out checks quarterly).
   For an example of this, see the North Texas Linux Users Group's
   Bookstore page at http://www.ntlug.org/books/index.html
   We could have a much longer listing of books (including all of
   the relevant O'Reilly books, grouped in categories, or searchable)
   since Amazon pays a higher percentage for books purchased through
   a direct link than through a pass-through.  See Amazon's Associates
   page for details at http://www.amazon.com/associates

o  Web banner ads.  I haven't had any experience setting them up,
   just been annoyed by them, and don't know if they can be restricted
   to non-annoying, totally on-topic (Linux related) ads but it might
   be worth considering.  Does anyone know if the revenue derived
   would be worth the annoyance factor (especially for a relatively
   low volume web site)?

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net