[LUAU] Another Bylaw to Chew On

jwchris at juno.com jwchris at juno.com
Thu Jun 17 10:47:03 PDT 1999

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:37:53 -1000 George Toft <LinuxAdvocate at iname.com>
writes:
>Zachary P. Taylor wrote:
>>
>> I agree with most of it, except dues. It was started as a free group,
and
>> should always remain so.
>
>I think the time has come to consider dues.  For example,
>let us suppose we decide to have a presence at a show or
>convention (we were going to have one at the Networking Expo
>last December).  How are we going to decorate the booth?
>By using a banner, or sign.  These cost about $200.

snip

>If we have 50 members and collect $12 per year ($1/month) per
>member, that gives us $600 per year to work with.  We can get
>a sign, and buy anything else we may need to support promoting
>Linux.

snip
>George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

Before this goes any further, dues were discussed;  but not agreed upon.
Whether [or not] they are placed in the by-laws have yet TBD...

I still feel "Coporate Sponsorship" can be effectively used; and
especially
in areas of special needs, like banners and the like....

my contention is still that until the group is about 400 - 500 [and at
that time
corporate sponsorship is lagging] that the members may need to consider
dues [please NOTE THE WORD MAY {not shall}].  And even then [at least to
my knowledge] there should still be enough corporate sponsorship for 1500

LUAU members.

Corporations [even in Hawaii] are eager to have their name listed as a
sponsor
to some 'technical organization'.  And only if they require some sort of
receipt by
an organization should we then consider obtaining a non-profit status
[which
shows we have some type of organization and by-laws {only here we may
have
to change our by-laws to state that 'we are a not-profit organization';
not too
difficult I hope} ].

But in the interim,  we should
1) see how other groups have done so [MAC users group, PC users group,
NUG]
    {I know Zach you'd love that idea...  ;-)  ;  but there can be some
good in talking
      to non-Linux users....}
2) determine [at that time] whether to collect donations, dues, fees for
use, etc.
     for that particular project
3) remember there are many other possibilities than to having set dues
for worthy
     needs.  WE JUST HAVE TO BE CREATIVE; and I think [anyone correct me
if I am
     wrong] that Linux users are creative....

john

-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net
-  /____/\____/_/ /_/\____/  LUAU - Linux Users AnonymoUs - Hawaii