[LUAU] multiple booting!

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Sun Jan 24 21:17:20 PST 1999

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 19:00:17 -1000 (HST) Chris Wong
<wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu> writes:
>On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Danny L. Lapitan wrote:
>
>> can anyone recommend which order i should install the following OS's
>> for lilo to boot each OS? win98,nt,solaris,and linux. i dont wanna
>> use system commander or Solaris's boot manager so im hoping lilo can
>> do this for me..thanx!!
>
>I don't think LILO works with NT.. and I"m unsure about Solaris. I
>would think System Commander might be your best bet... you've a pretty
heavy
>system configuration there.

Chris, if LILO can see a MS Windows partition, should it not be able to
see an NT
partition [a naive question] ?   But I have seen NT with Linux boxes
[customers
using RoadRunner {retired MS programmers} ].

>Probably Win98 last or NT last. One, Win98 doesn't like WinNT. Or vice
>versa. Two, it does overwrite the boot paritition without telling you
>so you need to rerun lilo or whatever parition manager you have.

One thing I learned is you load Win98 1st [it will format over everything
- Linux &
NT included]; and then you can load NT [if you want {NT allows a multiple
boot -
but will format over Linux (so I have been told by those users) } ].
They load
linux last.
As far as Solaris goes, we have some users in our group who use both.  I
wonder
if they would do Solaris next to last [& linux last]?

>Otherwise...
>
>Good luck. :)

ditto

>(you're a brave man)