[LUAU] SAMBA or NFS?

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Mon Jan 18 20:06:55 PST 1999

At 04:26 PM 1/17/99 -1000, you wrote:

>I would also recommend that you review any and all shares on your
internal
>network, given that anyone who gets into your gateway, will be able to
>access them.

<snip>>

>Eric Hagen                  "Sometimes we get lost in the darkness,
>ehagen at Hawaii.Edu	     the dreamers learn to steer by the stars..."
>			    "You fight for something because it is good.
>	 				Not because it stands to succeed."

I highly suggest the same//

If you intend Samba to not be seen on anything but your local network and
you've used ipfwadm, inetd if not running SMBD as a deamon (xinetd is
better), or use the bind interfaces option,  or a combination of the
above,   A quick and dirty way to check it is to telnet to your port 139
from the outside and verify that your connection is refused.  If you want
outside access for some reason use smbclient to connect to your machine
from the outside and see whats really available.

Users already local on the system is another story,  this is controlled by
standard Unix file permissions.  If just a single user should have access
its easy, if more then one use "valid users" or a few more other ways with
more then one person but not all access.  By default the files planted by
Samba are created 755 owned by share owner and group "users".  That means
files world readable be anyone.  There are options to change this, like
force group, create mask, etc...  Until you are pretty confident you got
it under control I wouldnt be installing   Quicken to a shared drive!

I guess what I am trying to say is that if your not sure test it out and
try to get what you shouldnt be able to before you role it out for others
to get to.