[LUAU] Xemacs Problem was Cursor Problem

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 26 10:27:04 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:

> On Friday, Feb 1999 at 7:33:51 Chris Wong wrote:
>  | btw, has anybody had problems with Netscape and Wordperfect in 24 bit
>  | color? For some reason it doesn't work for me. I moved to 32 bit color
>  | and it works but somehow i think that's wrong. Esp. for netscape and
>  | Corel.
>
>  It's my rather limited understanding that netscape and most motif based
>  apps have probems with 24bit color, unless you tell them to start with
>  thier own color palete.  At least that has been my experience.  I havn't
>  dug too deeply into X due to the fact that I'm a coward.  I started once
>  and got real scared.

Then why does 32 bit color work? I'm rather scared of it too... but it's
becoming manageable. In fact, I think it's a lot easier than it used to
be... you should try it sometime. I only joined the "X" revolution a few
months ago.... I think that was in October or so.

> Perhaps Gnome and or KDE (being the beasts that they are) do some
> color palete magic behind the scenes.

That's an interesting idea. I don't think GNOME does because of it's
nature (GNOME is not a Window manager... hell I'm not too sure what GNOME
does), but I could see kwm doing something like that. I'll try KDE tonight
if I have time.

It worked fine w/ my Permedia 2, but since the Permedia 2 didn't run in 24
bit color, I had no clue.

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net