[LUAU] RFC: New Organizational Structure

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:44:35 PST 1999

For one, I wouldn't exactly say this is a NEW organization structure
proposal. One would have to HAVE one first to have a new one. But I
digress.

As I stated in my previous message, John Christian came up with this idea
or at least mattured it to this point. I'm refining it until it works but
I have the idea in my head.

As stated previously, I feel this is a good structure for those who didn't
want too much structure, and this is a good structure for those who wanted
it. So... without further ado (and those who went to last night's
meeting know this already)

-- Begin Rant --

We all come to Linux from varying backgrounds, some of with different
strengths and weaknesses. Some are good graphics people, some are
programmers and techs (like me). Others are organizationally inclined (not
me) or prefer teaching. I strongly feel there is a niche for everyone, be
it documentation or programming.

What I propose is to separate the group (by choice) into several
categories... mini-groups so to speak. That's it. I'm probably not
explaining it clearly enough so before you flame, please ask questions.

Right now I have 5 top level groups. (they can get broken down later)

Webpage
Documenation
Organization/Political/Public Relations
Training
Projects

They're large, and they're vague (except for the Webpage) and there's a
LOT of inter-group community required for a lot. e.g. Org needs to post a
new meeting time to the webpage.

Each group will get their own mailing list, and each sub-group can create
their own (which means I need a LOT of control over the mailing list).

Each group is more or less autonomous save the required communication
between groups. Each has their own agenda and does what needs to be done
on their terms.

And, everybody can join (at least a top level group... after that it's the
group's decision) and listen and learn and participate.

Or just listen and learn.

Now, as far as I can tell, this will be very difficult to implement. Human
nature being what it is, this would be like herding cats. But if this can
get off the ground, we'll have something scalable (can you tell I'm a
programmer?), useful, and something that can give back to the community.

It's not bureaucratic as some people feared we would end up. It's not
money grubbing as well.

The cons will be increased organizational skills on my part, and increased
need for communication.

But I feel it stands a chance, it models the philosphy of Linux itself,
and it's quite capable of returning to the software community that most of
us rely upon on our everyday work.

-- End Rant --

Please, comment on this. Ask questions first of course before flaming.

Another point to make, attendance at the meetings are in the 20's now. I'm
having difficulty in organizing such a large group. I would make the
arguement that some organization IS necessary... it's just the matter of
which route to take.

--
chris

--