[LUAU] AGP Video woes

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Tue Feb 9 20:13:44 PST 1999

I'm trying to install SuSE 5.3 on a Pentium II
(233 MHz, 32 MB RAM) with an AGP video card using
the Cirrus Logic 5465 chipset.  SaX has that
chipset in its database, and I have it set up
correctly (let's presume I do).

Problem: X locks up after a few minutes of
operation, usually while painting a newly
created window.  I'm using the Generic SVGA
server, 800x600x8 resolution.

I recompiled the kernel to stress the system -
worked with no problems.  I used the VGA
server in a 640x480x4 resolution (looked
horrible, but worked reliably).

Can anyone suggest a definitive test to see
if the problem is in the video card or the
X Server?

George