[LUAU] Xinetd..

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Apr 20 16:59:45 PDT 1999

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:

> Actually, not a whole lot.
>
> Advantages:
> Can redirect tcp streams to a designated IP and port number (useful
> 	for all you masquerading people out there that want services on
> 	internal machines accessible from outside)

Doesn't ipautofw do the same thing. Unless you're dealing with other
Unixes (Unixen, Unicies?)

> Can bind to specific interfaces instead of having everything on all
> 	interfaces

Definately useful. I think there was a patch for inetd to do that however.

> xinetd and inetd can run concurrently, assuming you don't have them
> 	both providing the same services.

And confuse your successor.

> Personally, on some of my machines I run xinetd, and on some I run
> inetd.  There are times for each.

Now I use inetd for machines that I setup for others. That way somebody
can go in afterwards and make sense of the thing.

xinetd I use on machines that I use and have to secure. The idea of
running a separate program (tcp wrappers) for each connect disturbs me and
hence I like xinetd for that purpose.

So basically there are no clear advantages? I'm just rambling...

--
chris
Something Witty this way comes

--