[LUAU] Meeting for January

Myles Uyema myles at uyema.net
Wed Dec 30 08:51:26 PST 1998

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Chris Wong wrote:

> But it's over now, and baring major problems, we're looking at a meeting
> at Manoa Innovation Center on January 19th. I don't have a time yet (hint,
> hint John) but I'd imagine around 6 or so.
>
> Well, I've been busy. For instance, I'm running 2.2.0pre1. Been hearing
> nasty things about it on the mailing list but it works great for me.
> Anybody else running 2.1.x or 2.2.0pre?
>
> Several problems I needed to overcome first however, but it's all good.
>
> I'm running X-Windows constantly for the first time in a long while.
> Pretty nice on a 17". Now I want 19". *sigh* can't win.
>
> WEll anyhow, we'll find topics to discuss.
>
> Just as an aside.. I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.0 on my machine. Not
> Linux, but a close analogue. :)

I put up pre-2.2.0-1 plus Alan Cox's additional pre2.2 patches, and so
far it's running solidly here.  I had 2.1.131ac-something running for
over two weeks, and I rebooted in order to start up the pre2.2 kernel.
It's been up for nearly 36 hours.  I don't tax it much, however.  The
"menuconfig" option in 2.2 is much more organized, and I like its
format.

I've been running Samba 2.0 beta in conjunction with NT Server 4 for a
long while, but I haven't hooked up a printer yet, I have linux
operating as a fileserver for NT's applications and accessories, and
additional software I've installed.  For a note, Samba 2.0 hopes to
replace the need for an NT Server, making it able to function as a
Primary Domain Controller in a Windows95/98/NT environment, also with
WINS resolution, and other exciting new features.

Also, I just passed my 6th Microsoft exam, qualifying me as a Microsoft
Certified Systems Engineer.  I'm hopeful this will at least give me
more edge in a future job I might try for...

Anyway, Roadrunner has been very good to me, and Linux is a great
masquerading router/firewall for the windows machine, and I do my main
browsing there, using IE 5.0 beta with US Strong 128bit SSL.  Hopefully
in a month or so I'll be testing one of the later NT 5 betas (Since
MCSE's are automatically subscribed to TechNet and the Beta program for
one year).  I'm also getting the Office 2000 trial kit, and I believe I
might be able to pass around copies, but I'm not sure yet.

I hope I'll be able to make it to the January 19th meeting, though I'm
going to need directions on how to get to the Manoa Innovation Center.
I know it's on or near the UH Manoa campus, somewhere =>.  Well...that's
a wrap I guess.

Okay, 10-4 over and out.

Myles Uyema
myles at uyema.net