[LUAU] XFree86 errors and directing standard output questions

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Thu Dec 24 18:25:48 PST 1998

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, HawaiiBuc wrote:

> Aloha everyone,
>   I apologize in advance for bothering everyone on Christmas Eve, but I'd
> like to see if I can get my Xwindows set up and running sometime today.  I
> have a question about output, though.

Not a problem... one thing about computer people... we always work.

Actually.. it's like being a Doctor or a Lawyer.... people always haev
questions.. espically irritating Windows "how do I click this?" kinds of
questions in parties... But I digress.

>   I went to check out the XFree86 FAQ and see if there was anything about
> the error I was getting.  I was getting this one:
>
>     _X11TransSocketUNIXConnet: Can't connect: errno=111

Yes.. that's not what I need. I need the entire error message.

>   I reverted back to trying to install XFree86 via the directions at
> www.xfree86.org but was unsuccessful.  I got the error mentioned in the FAQ,
> but don't know how to direct both the standard output and standard error to
> a file.  Can anyone help me out with this?

If you're using bash:
startx > x.out 2>&1

If you're using tcsh/csh:
startx >& x.out