[LUAU] XFree86 errors and directing standard output questions

HawaiiBuc hawaiibuc at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 24 17:50:55 PST 1998

Aloha everyone,
  I apologize in advance for bothering everyone on Christmas Eve, but I'd
like to see if I can get my Xwindows set up and running sometime today.  I
have a question about output, though.
  I went to check out the XFree86 FAQ and see if there was anything about
the error I was getting.  I was getting this one:

    _X11TransSocketUNIXConnet: Can't connect: errno=111

This is what the FAQ suggested I do:

"Quoting only this message in a bug report is therefore utterly useless.
Look in the server output for the real reason why the server died. Normally
you should see the real error message (=why the server stopped working) a
few lines before the "error 111" message.
If you still can't make head or tails of all those messages, make sure to
quote the FULL server output in your bug report. It is impossible to provide
you with any help, if you just mention the "error 111", as so many people
do.

Obtaining the full server output is normally accomplished by redirecting
both standard output and standard error to a file while starting the server.
On some systems this is done by default."

  BTW, I tried the rpm instal method, but I kept getting an error message
stating that a needed file was missing, even after having loaded the library
rpm containing the file.

  I reverted back to trying to install XFree86 via the directions at
www.xfree86.org but was unsuccessful.  I got the error mentioned in the FAQ,
but don't know how to direct both the standard output and standard error to
a file.  Can anyone help me out with this?

Many thanks in advance,

Bud Jones