[LUAU] SAMBA Help

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Tue Dec 22 16:03:49 PST 1998

For your instance I don't think the encrypted passwords via OSR2/98 is the
problem.   Passwords are not required for browsing providing you used the
standard "Guest" that Samba defaults to, normally an encrypted password
problem is noted by trying to connect to a visible share, you supply the
right password at the prompt and Samba denies access to it. Did you try
manually trying to find HAWAII using the W95 "Find Computer"? or try
manually mapping a share on HAWAII by using \\HAWAII\CDROM or whatever
your share name is from JULIE?  This would narrow it down a little

Samba uses Netbios over TCP, IPX is useless.  This is a guess but what
might be happening is JULIE might actually be seeing the other 95 machines
via IPX and not TCP or just Netbios names with Netbeui, you didnt say if
Netbeui was installed or not on the Win boxen which isnt needed for Samba
either.  Check your TCP/IP properties on JULIE and look for "I want to
Enable Netbios over TCP" under the "Netbios" tab.  While you there check
mark "Set this Protocol to be the Default" under the advanced section.  Do
have a specific need for IPX anyway?  If not just get rid of it, of course
those IPX network games and that Netware server wont work but...you dont
need it for Samba.
This is a long shot using assumptions of your local setup but its worth a
try.

If it does boil down to an encrypted password issue, there is a reg file
that comes with the Samba source that can be run on 95/98 that will
automatically add the correct registry entires to enable plain text
passwords, look in the docs directory.   Its called
Win95_PlainPassword.reg.  Or search DejaNews for the keywords and many
messages will show up detailing how to manually enter the right reg key.
Of course if you have people on your home network snooping passwords you
might not want to enable this, the family bond only goes so far!

Samba works great when you get it going.  I run 90% of my apps from Samba
shares and the domain logons are great for the kids, they login to
WinBloze from any computer and get their desktop, icons, etc.. not mine,
and you can also do some cool things with the Samba "message command"
parameter and Winpopup.