[LUAU] Linux Kernel 2.5

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Dec 22 02:07:30 PST 1998

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, David and Max wrote:

> Anybody knows when the linux kernel 2.5 is going to be out?  I heard from
> somewhere that the kernel version is going to be 2.5 (not sure) with a lot
> of new enhancement.  Where can I find more info about this?  Any input?

2.5? Wow.. either I'm behind the times or you're thinking of 2.2

re: 2.2. I'm running 2.1.130 at home and am perfectly happy ( little
problem w/ sound but that's my fault.. too lazy to fix)

I believe it's around Christmas that it's scheduled (if these things
really are) to be released.

The additional features are good. Better SMP support. Of course more
hardware. ipchains, I think the IDE code has been redone.

Supposedly it's more efficent in places.

>From a user's standpoint? I don't see a major need to upgrade to 2.2 yet.
(btw, has anybody heard of a true POSIX compliant Pthread library for
2.1.x? I know linuxthreads exists but it isn't POSIX compliant. Signal
handling.. not that I use it but it would be nice for completeness.)

Besides more hardware support... the need isn't that great. But... 2.2 is
the future so I'd expect distributions to begin supporting it. I've had
only one problem with my 2.1.130, and frankly, I don't have a clue where
it came from. Said something about socket destroyed. Weird.

To get more info, just check out kernel.org or something. They all have a
changelog.

(I haven't upgraded to >2.1.131 until they finish debugging the VFS code)