[LUAU] RedHat 5.2 video card compatability (new monitor question, part II)

HawaiiBuc hawaiibuc at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 21 17:23:17 PST 1998

Aloha everyone,
  I went to the CompUSA on Ala Moana this morning to scout the video
cards they had.  I had printed a list of the cards supported by Linux
5.2 (the long list), but I didn't see but two in stock at CompUSA.  My
question is this: do any of y'all know of upcoming support for, or have
any knowledge of the compatability of, the following cards (all PCI) ?

    Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Exxtreme

    STB Velocity 4400

    ATI Xpert 98

  All of those cards should have plenty of RAM (4Mb for the Creative
Labs,16Mb for the STB, and 8Mb for the ATI), and can handle 1600x1200
resolution (the highest my monitor can handle) at at least 75 hz while
at 67k for the Creative Labs card, and 32bpp for the other two.
  On the list, there is a listing for Creative Labs Graphics Blaster 3D;
I'm assuming that that card is different from 'Graphics Blaster
Exxtreme'; the only STB Velocity cards are the Velocity 128 (in stock at
CompUSA) and Velocity 64 Video; as for the ATI Xpert, they have ATI
Xpert at Play PCI, 3D Rage Pro, and ATI Xpert at Work, 3D Rage Pro.
  I would appreciate any help anyone can provide, as this is an
unexpected challenge for me.  I can always go for the STB Velocity 128;
it retails for $99.99 and can handle 67k at 85hz and 32bpp at 60hz.

Many thanks in advance,

Bud Jones

P.S.  If anyone knows of other places to get a quality video card for no
more than $200.00, which can handle at least 67k at 75hz (preferrably
32bpp at 75hz-85hz), please let me know.  Thanks again for your help.