[LUAU] New monitor question

HawaiiBuc hawaiibuc at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 21 13:23:36 PST 1998

Aloha everyone,
  I normally don't post too much, as most of the time y'all are talking
a bit above my head, but I have a question to post to y'all.  My wife
decided to be really good to me this Christmas and buy a new 19" monitor
for me.  The only problem I have is that I only have 2 megs of video RAM
(a chip on the motherboard), my computer being a SONY VAIO PCV-120, and
that, the amount of RAM not being upgradeable.  Under X-windows, I can't
handle resolutions higher than 1024x768 without having problems with the
colormap thing.  The graphics chip I have is the ATI 3D Rage II (Mach
64).   There is a way to disable the video chip, but my question is to
which video card would either

    1. work the best with my existing video chip

or

    2.  is the best for a higher resolution (say 1600x1200) with a
refresh rate of at least 85hz

  I'm looking at video cards with 8 megs of RAM, with a maximum price
tag of $200.00.  Does anyone else have a SONY VAIO computer on which
they're running Linux?  I was looking specifically at Matrox and Diamond
cards, but would appreciate any help in this matter.

Many thanks in advance,

Bud Jones