[LUAU] identd?

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sat Dec 19 00:59:57 PST 1998

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Jeffrey Y. Sue wrote:

> Following the paranoid security policy of "If I don't know what it is, turn
> it off in inetd.conf", I turned off identd.
>
> What is identd? What is midentd? Do I need it? I'm running Linux to IP
> masquerade my private home network, so if I need identd, I guess I might
> need midentd.

No.. you don't need it.

identd is for public servers or any machine which people you don't
necessarily trust using it.

It's a callback. It will return the username of a connection initated from
that machine.

FOr instance.. uhunix runs identd. If I receive a connection from uhunix,
I telnet to uhunix port 113 and pass it two parameters.
1) Port on uhunix
2) Port on my machine.

If valid, it will return a user name.

FOr a personal machine, it's too risky.

Only reason you might want it activated is if you IRC.