[LUAU] Fwd: [past-noc] An ops developer role available at ISC

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 26 17:13:22 PDT 2013

If anyone is interested....

/brian chee

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Martin <jim at daedelus.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Subject: [past-noc] An ops developer role available at ISC
To: Past-NOC <past-noc at interop.net>

Gentlepeople,
This time around we need a perl developer for our operations group here at
ISC. Forgive the old schtick, but here goes ...We're the guys that develop
bind and dhcpd. What you may not know is that we also operate F-Root, which
serves about a third of the global root DNS traffic through over 50 sites
around the world, as well as provide hosting to public benefit projects
through several datacenters here in the bay area. To support this we've got
our own dark fiber network here in the bay area, and a WAN to several other
key datacenters in the US.

You can read the job posting below, but the key take away is that we're
looking for someone who's not afraid to jump into existing code and figure
it out and keep it running with limited involvement of the original authors
(who have left the company but are still willing to help). You'd also be
helping out with some of the day to day operations involved in keeping our
network and F-Root up and healthy.

What you also might not know is that ISC is a 501C3 non-profit, with the
explicitly stated goal of making the Internet better. While working at ISC
will never net you the biggest paycheck in Silicon Valley, you can
generally sleep well knowing you're doing good work for the community.

So, if this sounds interesting to you, or you know of someone this might
fit, check out jobs page at
http://www.isc.org/?jobs=senior-operations-developer-devops or just submit
a CV to jobs at isc.org. If you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks!

- Jim Martin, ISC Director of Operations
Senior Operations Developer – DevOpsBackground

Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) develops commercial ­quality open­source
software for the Internet Community. ISC has a proud history in the
development of the Internet, with many of the DNS and DHCP ­related
standards in use today written by current or past employees. We are
currently seeking highly qualified and motivated Senior Operations
Developer.
Job Description

ISC is looking for a self-driven, hands-on senior engineer with a blend of
software development and operations skills. This role will initially focus
on the development and maintenance of ISC’s Secondary Name Service
platform, but will more generally focus on the development of tools and
systems to enhance and automate the ISC Operations environment. Beyond pure
development, the engineer in this role will participate in the overall
management, operation and growth of the ISC and world-wide F-Root network
and systems infrastructure.
Duties will include:

   - Primary development and maintenance of the software driving ISC’s
   Secondary Name Service platform
   - Design and development of systems automation, monitoring and
   optimization tools, as well as analysis of existing toolsets
   - Development of advanced tools for DNS monitoring and analysis
   - Participation in the day-to-day operation of the ISC Infrastructure
   - Developing and maintaining documentation and reports
   - Participation in an on-call rotation for both ISC’s customer support
   department as well as ISC’s on-call 24 Hour NOC
   - Representing ISC at technical conferences and presenting, as
   appropriate

Factors and Traits Required for Candidates:

   - Perl Programming with specific knowledge on:
      - Catalyst – web Framework
      - Moose – post-modern object oriented system
      - DBIx::Class – Object Relational Mapper
   - Proficient in database technologies, with specific expertise in:
      - MongoDB
      - PostgreSQL 9.1+
      - Performance tuning and optimization
      - Real-time data replication and High Availability
   - Experience processing XML and JSON documents
   - Template Toolkit and HTML::Template is desired
   - Experience with User Interface design, particularly focused on
   technical users
   - Strong focus on Development Testing at all levels
   - Knowledge of the Domain Name System (DNS) and BIND configuration.
   - FreeBSD and Linux experience
   - Strong written and oral communications skills
   - The ability to collaborate with diverse and distributed teams

Additional Weight to Candidates With:

   - Unix system administration skills, especially FreeBSD and Linux
   - Cisco IOS System Maintenance (install/troubleshooting/upgrade)
   - Familiarity with firewalls and common security best practices
   - Familiarity with virtualization, VMWare a plus
   - Experience with IPv6 in large-scale production
   - In-depth knowledge of DNS and DHCP
   - Experience with DNSSEC
   - C, C++, or Python Programming Experience
   - Strong Network Management background
   - Experience presenting to group audiences

This position requires open-minded, motivated, hands-on individuals who
thrive in an environment comprised of strong engineering and
multidisciplinary teams having both software development and systems
administration backgrounds. Candidates must possess a desire to pioneer
solutions and automation over existing and new services that empower the
core of the Internet.

ISC is based in Redwood City, California, with much of the engineering
staff distributed around the globe. We’re interested in the best
applicants, and are very open to remote employees. Candidates should be
willing to travel periodically, both to the company headquarters as well as
to various industry conferences, as needed.

Express your interest by sending your resume to jobs at isc.org