[LUAU] Ubuntu and updates

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Sep 5 14:47:23 PDT 2012

Jeff Mings wrote:
> Ubuntu/HP?  You mean an HP product with Ubuntu?  Which Ubuntu version
> number and desktop would that be?
>
> I'm guessing that Synaptic, the GUI DEB package manager, disappeared.
> If all else fails, aptitude is the best console / terminal-based package
> manager I've seen.  You can do _everything_ from that, with a
> menu-driven interface that doesn't take a lot of time to get used to.  I
> really wish the  RPM/YUM package family under Redhat / CentOS had
> something as excellent as aptitude.
>
> Good Luck,
> -Jeff

Aloha Jeff.

It is Ubunto 8.10 with the Synaptic manager.

It starts from a gui window and shuts off using alt/F2 to bring up the
gnome-terminal.

It works fine for everything but Flash and the menu features that
vanished (back button for example on the inet screen). The desktop is
just HP with small windows you click on to enlarge them. I never use the
photos, music and stuff on the screen.Its used for picking up email when
I travel and searching the net. And airline schedules, checking in for
flights etc.

Thanks ...  AL