[LUAU] Unity follows the bad idea of one UI for all devices

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Tue Mar 20 11:45:43 PDT 2012

Hi Guys!

     Getting back the gnome-2-ish look for Ubuntu 12.04 is really easy:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

     My laptop and desktop run Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04) and Gnome 2
allows me to be very productive.  However, I wanted to see if another
box, that will primarily be running Zoneminder, would be tolerable with
Unity.  With the addition of ClassicMenu Indicator, Unity UI is usable.

     Canonical went to Unity to have a single UI for desktops, tablets
and phones.  This is a terrible idea, as demonstrated by the horrible
windows mobile/CE PDAs and phones, and by the manner in which Apple used
IOS for small devices and Mac OSX for computers.  Even Microsoft
developed Metro for their new phones (but have foolishly tried to slap
it onto their Windoze8 desktops). Unity has driven many people to Mint
Linux or CentOS.  If Ubuntu offered another official derivative (
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/derivatives ) using Gnome 2,
I would expect it to eclipse all of the other versions.  Gnome 3 is
absolutely beautiful, but is a regression from a productivity standpoint.

Aloha,
-Jeff