[LUAU] IP address on Cable

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 4 01:13:41 PST 2011

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, Jon <jonr at destar.net> wrote:
> However, I see most malware through compromised sites and ads, via the web these days.
>
> I'll second Jon's suggestion of FireFox/NoScript for tech savvy folks. For others, start with an ad blocker and Chrome if Win7/IE8 doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I'd also recommend disabling Java.  A lot of 'ads' on certain sites silently install stuff via Java.

.. A benefit of 'app stores' is that they don't contain malware/spyware (except Android's).  In my experience 'users' will always want to install things.  It's a PC, you can't stop that.  It's difficult to differentiate between what is a good application to install and what could happen if you install something so that you can see that greeting card that your friend sent you.  Or try telling your nephew that installing free dolphin screen savers isn't a good thing (and neither is going to those sites which offer them).

In a way we're moving to these application silos because Windows isn't working out...  Because all these suggestions shouldn't be necessary.

- Julian