[LUAU] FYI...firewall upgrade time

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Fri Jun 17 03:24:32 PDT 2011

Eternal thanks always belongs with Brian and the SOEST for hosting the HOSEF
server. It would be an oversight not to share this Aloha with Kevin McCarthy
who took the greatest initiatives for the HOSEF mirror by requesting Arch,
donating drives, and then doing some of the heavy lifting to get us official
with Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and FreeBSD. Julian Yap has remained an
admin, too - even with the competition of career, matrimony, and fatherhood.

Two summers ago I replaced the hardware with a Tyan mobo, PIII chipset, that
was donated to us by local FreeBSD guru, Art Neilson. There is an identical
backup, sans drives, in my possession. Touchwood, this revision is still
kicking. Perhaps the one-week burn in time in my Ewa garage, in Summer,
shook it all out.

The mirror is operating on a degraded RAID1 array that I funded along with
Kevin. It is operated by a SuperMicro 8-port SATA controller that I
purchased to facilitate growth and maintenance. There is space for extra
drives.

I keep up the management and oversight of our Debian based OS, but I
continue to look for an on-island soul who cares enough for the mirror to
keep it up. I am now very far away, but, I love the mirror too much to let
it perish. There are too many people who count on it.

--scott