[LUAU] Favorite SATA or PATA RAID controllers

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Feb 10 18:30:10 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:22:20PM -1000, Brian Chee wrote:
> I need to mirror (RAID 1) and was wondering about the collective option on
> PCI RAID controllers....
>
> These are going into 1RU SuperMicro machines that tend to run hot....so that
> is a bit of a consideration. I¹d like to use the same RAID controller for
> both Windows 2003 Server AND Debian Linux both...
>
> /brian chee

  Even though you're looking for Linux supported cards, there's a thread
on freebsd-stable right now you might want to look through, discussing
reliable inexpensive SATA controllers.

  Thread title is: "hardware for home use large storage"

  For BSD or Linux machines, I tend to think you're just as well off
with software RAID, at least until you get to fairly high-end systems
(e.g. external enclosures with their own RAID controllers.) If the card
has to do RAID under Windows, though, hardware RAID may be the only
reasonable option.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net