[LUAU] Using a 3rd party DNS providers effects routing from CDN's?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 15:25:53 PST 2010

This is the first I've heard about this but apparently using a 3rd party DNS server like Google DNS can effect your routing for a CDN like Akamai.

"CDNs like Akamai, which Apple works with to deliver iTunes downloads, use DNS lookup information to locate where users are, and then optimize content delivery via the nearest available server."

I guess the an easy test would be:
a) Inspect to find the domain/URL that is looked up on a download
b) Look up the domain using Google DNS and see what it reports
c) Look up the domain using default local DNS like Hawaii's RR DNS
d) Compare

Hmm, I guess I better switch to Hawaii RR DNS :(.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/12/20/apple_tv_itunes_downloads_slowed_by_google_dns.html