[LUAU] HOSEF mirror access via FTP?

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Wed Apr 28 15:10:22 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Antonio Querubin <tony at lava.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>
>  eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:76:f1:ed:c8
>>         inet addr:128.171.104.136  Bcast:128.171.104.255
>> Mask:255.255.255.0
>>         inet6 addr: 2607:f278:4101:12:204:76ff:fef1:edc8/64 Scope:Global
>>         inet6 addr: fe80::204:76ff:fef1:edc8/64 Scope:Link
>>
>> Now, the question is, what address should be used for DNS? I recall
>> learning
>> last year that I should use the Global address. When I ping and
>> traceroute,
>> I get the shorter addresses. I
>>
>> 2002:80ab:6888:
>> 2002:80ab:6888::1
>> 2607:f278:4101:12:204:76ff:fef1:edc8
>> fe80::204:76ff:fef1:edc8
>>
>> The DNS record and ifconfig results of
>> 2607:f278:4101:12:204:76ff:fef1:edc8
>> are the same.
>>

> For some reason your system has 6to4 addresses configured at the same time
> it has native IPv6.  Did you specifically enable 6to4 or any other manual
> IPv6 configuration or tunnel?  If you did, you should undo all that. Then
> restart network services and make sure only the global and link-local
> addresses show up.

6to4 is enabled by default via the stock Debian Lenny install. I see from
documentation that there are ways to summon it via /etc/network/interfaces,
but I have not created any tunnels. As you see from my ifconfig, the global
and link-address both show up. It's only when running ipv6calc and other
tools that I get the shorter number.

http://www.wlug.org.nz/6to4

points me to how to deal with this. However, it still appears to be pebcak,
and it may be as simple as not defining the IPv6 address in
/etc/network/interfaces as I am now reading. Now to determine the gateway,
and we should be good to go. Without this definition, a 6to4 conversion is
attempted.