[LUAU] traceroute missing on Ubuntu 8*

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Jun 30 23:37:30 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Clifton
Royston<cliftonr at iandicomputing.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 05:21:53PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
>> Aloha,
>>
>> I have to test networks with this HP Mini running Ububtu 8*. So I need
>> traceroute. The normal Linux or FreeBSD command is the same. I searched
>> and found many complaints about this with Ubuntu. That it is missing.
>> Doesnt work from (root) sudo  or usr.
>
>  Synaptic is your friend.
>
>  Coming from FreeBSD, as I did, you're going to be extremely irked for
> a while, as I was, by everything that's *not* included in the distro.
>
>  Ubuntu's built on Debian, and Debian is an extremely stripped-down
> distro.  C Compiler? not included. Basic networking utilities? not
> included.  Etcetera, etcetera.
>
>  The bright side is that package management is done quite well; you'll
> just need to get into one of the package managers - and I do like
> the Synaptic GUI the best - browse through it and check off a ton of
> stuff, and then twiddle your thumbs for a while as it all downloads and
> installs.
>
>  -- Clifton

Debian has over 20,000 packages available.  Ubuntu is in the same
area.  For some reason Ubuntu ships with traceroute6 installed, but
not traceroute.  Should one wish to stay with the command line,
"aptitude search" and "apt-cache search" help.

In all due respect, Debian Lenny (current stable release) ships with
traceroute, traceroute6, and more.  For good security reasons, it does
not ship with the esteemed gnu C compiler.  It can be easily installed
if you want it and know why you want it.  Results follow:

>From Debian Lenny, our Hosef mirror, using tab completion

scott at mirror:~$ tracer
traceroute           traceroute.db        tracert
traceroute6          traceroute-nanog     tracert.db
traceroute6.db       traceroute-nanog.db

>From Ubuntu 8.04 using the aforementioned tools:

apt-cache search traceroute
iputils-tracepath - Tools to trace the network path to a remote host
mtr-tiny - Full screen ncurses traceroute tool
traceroute - Traces the route taken by packets over an IPv4/IPv6 network
honeyd - Small daemon that creates virtual hosts simulating their
services and behaviour
hp-search-mac - Search for a MAC address on HP switches
hping2 - Active Network Smashing Tool
hping3 - Active Network Smashing Tool
lft - layer-four traceroute
libnet-rawip-perl - Perl interface to lowlevel TCP/IP
libnet0 - library for the construction and handling of network packets
(obsolete)
libnet1 - library for the construction and handling of network packets
libnet1-dev - development files for libnet
mtr - Full screen ncurses and X11 traceroute tool
ndisc6 - IPv6 diagnostic tools
netwox - networking utilities
netwox-doc - documentation for netwox toolbox
paketto - Unusual TCP/IP testing tools
paris-traceroute - New version of well known tool traceroute
prewikka - Graphical analysis console for the Prelude IDS Framework
python-pyip - Python modules for raw ip packet assembling/disassembling
remstats-bintools - Remote Statistics System: traceroute and multiping
tcptraceroute - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
traceproto - traceroute replacement that supports TCP, UDP, and ICMP
traceroute-nanog - Determine route of packets in TCP/IP networks (NANOG variant)
xt - A graphical traceroute
irpas - Internetwork Routing Protocol Attack Suite

--scott