[LUAU] Ubuntu Networking

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sun Jun 28 13:00:27 PDT 2009

> Aloha Scott,
>
> Mahalo for pointing me in the right direction.
> I was able to lock the network admin settings into manual mode and that
> worked. I was able to put both wlan and eth0 into the network/interfaces
> file and can usr the ifup and ifdown to use either. I also made backup files
> of the settings in the directory too.
>
> You have any thoughts on how I can get a cafe link to not override every
> thing if I wanted to use the netbook at a Starbucks or other place with
> wifi? I'm afraid that the auto config over writes the networks file if you
> use it.

Aloha Al

Given your depth and experience with FreeBSD and the terminal, you may
find yourself comfortable with the /usr/share/doc/{relevant
documents}.  The Debian/Ubuntu realm have good documentation for
configuring various behaviors within /etc/network/.  The wpasupplicant
files have good information for profiles.

I know just what you are dealing with.  The GUI tool has the ability
to set a profile, but it never really worked well for me.  This is
kind of a weak area right now, and it's partly why WICD is becoming so
popular.

The way I handled your situation for years on my old orange ibook
running debian was to create a few /etc/network/interfaces files.
Then I ran a basic script like iamhome, iamatwork, iamatuh, to load
the appropriate configurations for my interfaces.  For you, this will
work fine.

> ~Al Plant

--scott