[LUAU] Ubuntu Networking

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Mon Jun 22 20:45:10 PDT 2009

Aloha Gurus,

I run FreeBSD servers and desktops and now I have an HP Mini 1000
netbook with Ubuntu OS.
I have setup the /etc/network/interfaces :

The manual connection works OK for my ATM circuit wired network, now I
want to set a second network config for my LAN wireless.
Any body on Luau had experience with a wired network link. I want to set
it up manually so I dont lose the wired settings for when I am on the
ATM circuit. Using the helper apps on the Netbook is not an option as it
doesnt seem to play nice with more than one config.
I am trying to set up the wireless so I can use either it or the wired
link, obviously not both. With out losing either configuration.

Also I want to know if it can be setup to work in a Starbucks
configuration with DHCP again with out losing the existing configs.

Note: Using the autoconfig helper destroys everything existing if you
use it. I am used to command like setups for networks not the GUI point
and click.

Any help appreciated.

Mahalo...

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +