[LUAU] traceroute missing on Ubuntu 8*

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Jul 1 20:50:08 PDT 2009

Jason Axelson wrote:
> apt-get install traceroute ought to install it. But I would second the
> choice of mtr. I find it much better than traceroute (although I've
> only done limited work with either). Another thing you could check is
> tracepath, and it may even already be installed on your system.
>
> Sorry, I would check right now on one of my Ubuntu boxes, but they
> seem to be down at the moment, so I'm not sure about the above advice.
>
> Jason
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Al Plant<noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
>> Aloha,
>>
>> I have to test networks with this HP Mini running Ububtu 8*. So I need
>> traceroute. The normal Linux or FreeBSD command is the same. I searched and
>> found many complaints about this with Ubuntu. That it is missing. Doesnt
>> work from (root) sudo  or usr.
>>
>> Acn anyone help me to install this utility and the rest that are needed for
>> Network trouble shooting. Can I use aptget like Debian to install missing
>> utilities. Is there away to load a full bash or tcsh shell on this box?
>>
>> So far the only thing I havent got running is the way to use a remote
>> wireless connection like at Starbucks and my network printer I think needs a
>> prrintcap file like I learned to do way back the day.
>>
>> Mahalo..
>>

>> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>>  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
>>  + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
>>  < email: noc at hdk5.net >
>> "All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carrol

Aloha,

Thanks this worked from the command line just fine.

Now I dont understand the CUPS printing setup. I tried the helper app
but no printcap file was created for my Laserjet 1100.
There is a driver listed and the ljet4q is selected but no que was
written or printcap file so the test didnt work from the command line.

Any Ideas how this works? I have a network print server that runs
FreeBSD lpr apsfilter and all the other boxes work from the command line
and GUI's too.

I am used to FreeBAS that has all the Utilities installed. Now I
remember why I switched. I only ever had a Debian box that seemed to
like me. A long time ago. Scott may remember the days at Mid Pac.

Mahalo...