[LUAU] SSL but through a firewall in NAT address space?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Mon May 5 22:35:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 02:14:24PM -1000, Brian Chee wrote:
> So it isn't that hard to get SSL for something like webdav working if the
> firewall is in transparent mode since the IP addresses and dns entries
> match..but does someone have a link to a "How to" for Apache setup for
> webdav but in NAT address space?

  In general, getting Apache to work properly inside NAT is almost
entirely a matter of 1) getting the inbound connections routed to it by
the NAT box, 2) making the DNS look right to the Apache box.  The fancy
way to do it is to set up a split-view DNS, the quick-n-dirty way is to
just put its DNS name and private address in the hosts table on the
apache machine.  That would also get the server name matching properly
with the cert name you're using, since certs go by FQDN not IP.

  I'm not 100% sure whether any other issues would come up for running
SSL into it, but I don't think so as long as you've got the inbound
connections tunnelled to it properly by the NAT router.  I'd just give
it a shot and see if it works.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net